Friday, December 14, 2012

Making a list, checking it twice



I love checking things off a list.  Any kind of list.  Groceries, check.  Household chores, check.  Work to-do items, check.  A page and a half list of adoption documents, check check and check.  We're almost done with phase 1!  Only about three things left to get.
Kevin and I both finished our autobiographies this week.  That was a relief!  Even though they give you a list of things they want to know about you, it still involves a lot of soul searching and introspection.  In the end, I was proud of both of our papers. 
We also found a psychologist for the psych evaluation.  They like to know that you aren't a psychopath before you adopt children.  I suppose that's a good thing. Part of the evaluation includes taking a personality test.  It was an interesting set of questions and it took about an hour and a half to take.  I was glad when that was done.  We go back for an interview with the psychologist in January and he sends a report to the adoption agency.
  The only thing that is really holding me up are the passports.  They should be here in early January, but I don't know how much the holidays are affecting the process.  I know they have received our applications because they cashed our checks. I also need a criminal clearance from the city.  I will go down to the police station and get that next week. 
 I am going to go ahead and send what we have ready to the agency.  I am so excited to be mailing this off!  This represents moving on to the next phase.  I believe we should be able to have our home study next, but I need to check with the adoption agency first.

I can't help but feel deeply saddened by the school shooting tragedy in Connecticut today.  What a horrific thing to happen anytime of year, but expecially right before Christmas.  It makes me wonder if I want to bring children to this country.  I am trying to keep in mind that I can only do the best I can to make life better for an orphan and trust that God's will be done.  My heart breaks for those families today. 

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.    
John 14:26-28

No comments:

Post a Comment